Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cloth Diapers

So...Jack is a ton of fun. As I'm typing I'm listening to him talk...and talk...and talk with his daddy. I know that he is only 4 months old and can't really talk yet, but I swear sometimes he imitates what he hears us say. I would bet that the words he hears the most are "hi" and "I love you," and sometimes in his random babbling it honestly sounds like he's saying one of those things. I know he has no idea what he's saying, but I really think he's imitating us.

So anyway, I wanted to share something I'm really excited about. A few weeks ago we started using cloth diapers on Jack. I know it sounds totally archaic, granola, weird, hippie-ish--whatever. But I wanted to give it a try. I did some research and found that you can get really good cloth diapers nowadays--not the old ones where you have to pin them together and put rubber pants over them, like my mom used. The outside of the diaper is made of water resistant fabric so the moisture doesn't get out. The part that touches his skin is a fabric that wicks away moisture and pulls it into the diaper, where there is an absorbent pad. It actually keeps him drier than disposables, believe it or not.

So we bought one diaper and tried it. We loved it and we ordered some more. It was an investment, as a supply to last a couple days between washing costs about $300, but when you consider that Huggies or Pampers will run you about $55 a month, (with coupons, based on 7-8 diapers a day), it's easy to see that it quickly pays off. (Yes there are cheaper diapers than Huggies or Pampers, but we discovered early on that there's a reason they cost more and it's worth it). Of course you have to consider the cost of the water and detergent for washing, and I haven't crunched those numbers, but I would still guess that it's a worthwhile investment.

Then there's the cuteness factor. See for yourself.
They are so much cuter than disposables! They come in lots of colors--orange, green, yellow, blue, white, pink.

Also, we won't have to buy new ones as Jack gets bigger. The diapers are adjustable sizes so ideally you use the same diapers from birth to potty training. And the general consensus I got from reading about them online is that if you take good care of them they will last through two kids! I do have to wash diapers every other day, but that's really not a big deal. It's just like any other load of laundry.

So...to my friends and family out there with babies, I recommend giving it a try! It sounds crazy at first, I know. The big diaper companies have done a good job of convincing us all that they are the only option. But they're not. It wasn't really very long ago that everyone used cloth diapers. My mom used them on me and my siblings, and that was what most everyone did at the time. I love the feeling of being independent from Huggies. They're there when I need them, like when we go on trips, but I don't have to go to the store every week for a new box.

How's that for a soap box? Not trying to sound preachy but I am excited about my new discovery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment