Thursday, July 22, 2010

New Job

As promised, here are the details on my new job. I got hired in Labor and Delivery, full time, at a big hospital here in Erie. I start training August 24, because it takes a while to do clearances (background check, physical, etc). I interviewed a week ago and got to shadow a nurse for a while. I told them that I really liked the unit, and they told me they needed to check my references. They checked them, and called me yesterday to offer me the job!

I would like to take this opportunity to stick it to anyone who told me one of the following:
1. You have to do at least a year of med/surg nursing to get anywhere
2. New grads never get hired straight into specialties like L&D
3. You have to do a capstone in L&D to get a job there (I did capstone in ICU)
4. The market is really tight for new grads right now so don't be disappointed if you can't find a job right away (this is the only one I interviewed for, and one of two I applied for)

I have had all these things said to me at some point (although likely not by anyone who reads my blog, so this is really just me venting). It feels good to prove them wrong! I'm glad I didn't listen, or I'd be stuck in med/surg right now. I know some people love med/surg, but I really don't. It would have been a hard year for me if I'd had to do that. In addition, I'm grateful that the market here in Erie is good for nurses. I know some of my friends have had a really hard time finding jobs.

I'll be on a day/night rotation, which basically means as the new employee I'll get all the shifts that no one wants (nights, weekends, holidays). But this is actually great for me. First, those shifts pay more. Second, most of the time, I won't have to worry about childcare. Derek is home on nights, weekends and holidays so he can take care of Jack. My initial plan was to be a stay at home mom during medical school, but when the reality of the gigantic loans we would need for that hit, I decided to look for a job. After all, nursing is probably one of the most flexible jobs out there--3 days a week equals full time and shifts are available on whatever days you need them.

I'm still in the excited phase. I'm sure the overwhelmed, terrified phase will hit soon. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! I'm so glad you are able to work where you love, in labor and delivery. It will be so fun for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, look at you blogging up a storm! congrats on your new job! l&d to start...pretty sweet, eh? i can't wait to hear all your amazing baby stories. and congrats to derek on starting school! sounds like you guys are having the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Heidi! I'm glad to see you proved all of those people wrong who said you can't get a job on L&D right away...especially since I can't find a stinking LPN job anywhere in Utah Valley. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete